Prior to undergoing any procedure for the treatment of venous disease, the staff at the Vein Center at Iowa Heart will obtain a detailed history and conduct a thorough physical examination. We will answer all of your questions and explain your treatment options.
Non-surgical treatment options
Conservative therapy is always first-line therapy for treatment of symptomatic varicose veins. This includes wearing compression stockings for a designated time period. In fact, most insurance companies require a trial of conservative therapy prior to authorizing surgical treatment for your symptoms. Often patients will report some degree of relief with conservative measures.
The day of your procedure
- Due to medication given for relaxation, you will need a driver if you are going to have the laser procedure or ambulatory phlebectomy.
- The morning prior to your procedure, you may eat a light breakfast and take your normal medications, with the exception of aspirin or blood thinning medications. If you are on blood thinners please notify us immediately so that we can speak with your primary care provider and determine a course of action.
- In preparation for your procedure, we request that you maintain a standing position, as much as possible, for the two hours prior to your arrival. This will help to increase circulation in your legs and aide the provider performing the procedure.
- If you have compression stockings, do not wear them the morning of the procedure. Bring them along with you if having an Endovenous Laser Ablation. It is not necessary to bring them for an Ambulatory Phlebectomy.
- Wear loose fitting clothing. Wear layers as sometimes the procedure room can get quite warn.
- Please check with your insurance company prior to your procedure to assure that the procedure is a covered benefit with your individual plan.
- Post-operative instructions will vary depending upon the procedure performed. You will be given detailed written instructions prior to your discharge.
To learn more about specific pre-procedural information, visit the following links.
Schedule a Consultation
The path to healthy legs starts with a consultation. Schedule yours online in minutes.
Am I a Candidate?
Meet the Physicians
- Dr. Robert Zeff
- MD, FACS – Medical Director
Questions or Concerns?
Contact the Vein Center at Iowa Heart office at 515-633-3666 or toll-free at 877-413-VEIN.
West Des Moines Office Hours
8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday
As a courtesy to our staff and other patients,
if you need to cancel or reschedule your procedure for any reason, please do so at
least one week prior to your scheduled appointment.